Apr 042016

NurseI had my second surgery today. My throat was still really sore from the first surgery, and I asked the ENT if that was normal.She just shrugged and said she wasn’t surprised because the scar tissue had been so thick. I asked her what we’d be doing for pain this time and she again said just Tylenol and ibuprofen. I told her that wasn’t going to be enough and she said she’d think about it.

The surgery was a success, as the ENT was able to open my esophagus quite a bit. She said I will need one more surgery.

Thankfully, I woke up without an NG tube this time. I’ve been instructed to eat and drink as much of whatever I can until the next surgery to keep the track open. While at the hospital, I ate two softened crackers and drank some water and cranberry juice. Everything went down okay, but it hurt like crazy. Despite the pain medicine I was given at the hospital, my throat feels like it’s been scalded.

I was relieved to see that the ENT had written me a prescription for pain medication until I found out she only gave me enough for 2 1/2 days. I’m not sure what to do now since I’ve already talked to my PCP and my oncologist and they both said they couldn’t help me. Thankfully, I managed to save about 3 days worth from my last prescription, so that’ll get me through a few more days. Since the pain never really eased up last time, I don’t expect it will this time, either. I’ve never been one to wish pain on anyone, but I wish this ENT would have to live with this pain for just one day. It would make her a better doctor.

I don’t know if he’ll do it at this point, but my Brevard County ENT is back from medical leave, so I’m going to ask him if he’ll do my last surgery. He’s the only doctor here I really liked and trusted.And everyone else I’ve talked to said he’s the best.

John forgot to ask the ENT if she had to biopsy the spot they saw on the CT scan, but she told him everything was fine, so maybe she didn’t. If she did, I’d probably rather not know until the results are in anyway. I have to go in for a follow-up sometime next week.

 Posted by at 8:28 pm

  2 Responses to “Making some progress, but it comes with a cost”

  1. I was surprized you were able to write so soon after the surgery . So grateful that things went well. Love you. Aunt Betty

  2. Betty is right. It’s surprising that you are able to write so soon. That’s great. I am sorry they aren’t trying to manage your pain.

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>